Pitigliano, Tuscany, Italy
The Church and Franciscan convent were built to the design of Antonio San Gallo the younger in 1522, and the original drawings are to be found in the Uffizi gallery in Florence. Both remained as a religious centre for the Franciscan order until the church was burned in 1911. The Church, which remains in the public domain has never been restored. The convent has been lovingly and sensitively restored by the current owner to provide a real sense of it never having been altered by anyone. With all the modern conveniences, it remains a wonderful oasis of quiet and yet with huge potential to be further restored.
Arrival at the convent is via the enclosed courtyard with the ruined Church outside the wall and without access from the garden. The main entrance is in the cloistered area, under the lovely old loggia. The ground floor has several small rooms off a vaulted corridor leading through to the main kitchen and dining room, built in the converted wine-making area. These rooms also include an office, library, massage room, and pantry. An Etruscan wine cellar on 2 floors, carved by the Etruscans into the `Tufo`stone, deep in the ground below houses the wine, cheese, and oil and is considered to be even older than the convent itself. Most of the rooms in this stunning property have vaulted ceilings. The first floor has the traditional central corridor with monks' cells to either side. These have been carefully restored to provide a total of four double bedrooms (one with a large terrace) with bathrooms. Three of the bathrooms are en suite, (one has just a WC and wash basin). There are 2 master bedrooms in the other wing of the house, with their own first-floor sitting room. Their bathrooms are en suite; one has a bath with a hand-held shower, and the other has a shower.
The gardens completely surround the house and enjoy dramatic views over the ravine towards Monte Amiata there is a large salt-water 18 m swimming pool. The total land area of 26 ha includes approx. 13 ha of woodland on the slope down to the ravine and 13 ha of flatter land, including some olive groves.
The original Asking Price is 4,850,000.00 EUR. Please note that the price is subject to change, depending on the Euro - Dollar currency.